Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Three Strikes and You’re Out!

Many things can happen on a first date, but three things you don’t want that could lead to refusing a second date are: learning about his unhealthy dining practices or his questionable hobbies and meeting his family.

Civilized eating habits are invaluable when it comes to successful first impressions. Learning about your date’s eating habits by meeting his tapeworm could lead to an aborted evening. Learning its name should not make you feel more at ease with the situation.

Sharing some form of entertainment on a first date is a normal activity. However, when opting to see a movie staying in to watch his “amateur” videos on YouTube can be awkward. Sometimes taking charge of the night’s entertainment is beneficial.

The prospect of meeting his family can add undue pressure to a first date. Visiting the family pig farm to help look for Uncle Fester’s missing glass eye may not encourage a second date. Care should be taken to behave as if all behaviors are normal until a safe distance from the scene can be ensured.

Meeting your date’s family and learning about his hobbies and dining practices may be customary on a first date but it can be detrimental to a second date. Therefore, it is important to be aware of any glaring peculiarities that your date may display during the evening.

4 comments:

  1. Hilarious! My tapeworm's name is Bob. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sincerely apologize to anyone who reads this essay. I honestly missed the instruction that it be a blog essay. I thought Professor Bishop would be the only required to suffer through this. Having not dated for more than 20 years, I decided to take the humorous tack on the dating option. Hope it makes you laugh, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction: I thought Professor Bishop would be the only ONE required to suffer through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Suffering" might be a bit harsh. It was funny and fun. I'm just not quite sure it is actually a classification essay. A classification would be more like this:
    dining preferences to avoid are eating meat that is still mooing, welcoming tape worms to the table, and drinking more than one's body weight in alchohol. This is ONE classification. Then you would choose a couple more to round out this type of essay. Do you see the difference?

    ReplyDelete